Tuesday, October 18, 2016

New Visitor

I pay attention to the birds who come into my yard.  I like seeing birds I haven't seen before enter my property unless, like the scarlet tanager earlier this fall, they die after hitting my window. I wouldn't have even noticed this little birdy sitting in the window feeder if the black capped chickadees weren't acting differently.  Chickadees, you see, are the most polite birds at any feeder.  Chickadees come to the feeder, grab a seed, and immediately fly away making room for the next chickadee to come and grab a seed.  Chickadees are used to this pattern. So the chickadees who flew to this feeder, saw a bird hogging the feeder, staying in there for five full minutes at a time eating, they didn't know what to do.  One chickadee whirled around in front of the window in a panic.  Another chickadee whirled to a stop and clung to the bottom of the window sill for a minute before flying away.  The odd behavior of the chickadees made me look up to see what was up. There, in the feeder was a new bird to my yard.  A song sparrow had a long leisurely meal while the chickadees were made to wait.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...