Sunday, October 9, 2016

Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra

A friend emailed me, "Do you want to go to the Saint Paul Orchestra performance with Jeremy Denk, guest pianist this Saturday?'  I responded, "Hell to the Yes!"  I thought a little bit of culture, like sauerkraut, blueberries, or daily vitamins, would be good for me. I enjoyed the concert. I also enjoyed the meal at Pazzaluna (plus two glasses of Italian wine) before the concert.  But Jeremy Denk, he worried me.  He looks so much like a person I work with who needs very close supervision because of his Autism, that I could not relax and enjoy the performance.  Every time his head weaved with the music, I worried.  Every time he touched his head I worried because that made him look like the person I serve. The resemblance was remarkable.  Yes, Jeremy Denk can play the piano.  Yes, he was charming and personable.  And he didn't do anything inappropriate during the performance.  And I was glad because I was watching closely.  Funny how our personal experiences color our enjoyment of a performance.  I loved a good evening in my hometown, Saint Paul, Minnesota, at the Ordway. I loved being one of the younger people in attendance.  I didn't get home until midnight.  I swear, my yellow Honda Fit was about to turn into a pumpkin.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...