Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Atomic Number 25

I got a letter from my city today telling me that some of the city water is unfit for human consumption because it has too much manganese. Not all the city wells have too  much manganese, only four of the six wells have too much manganese. The other two wells do not have too much manganese. Too much manganese in the water can be a neurotoxin and lead to a condition called manganism. Manganism can present itself like Parkinson's disease. I do not have city water. I have my own well. The city doesn't have an answer to the problem yet.They might mix the water from the wells and use more water from the wells that do not have too much manganese. If they do that we are warned that the water will have more iron in it. The letter mentioned buying bottled water. Do I need to worry? Based on the fact that safer water has a lot of iron and the red ring I see in my toilet tank, I have no reason to worry. I also use a water softener and a Britta water filter. I think I will put the manganese problem on the back burner. I have more pressing concerns to occupy my mind than manganese.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...