Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Sold on a Monday

I made a mistake and read the wrong book for book club.  I read next month's book instead of this month's book. I figured that out five days ago so I had to hurry and speed read through Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris. This book is very popular so there was no way I could get it at the library so I ended up getting an electronic copy through the cloud library. I read it easily in a couple of days and thoroughly  enjoyed it. Honestly it is sad that children get sold. Poverty and illness make people do desperate things. I thought about my own grandmother who  was given away as a child to work on a farm where she earned her board and room. In this story a girl named Ruby and her brother Calvin are sold. Ruby is a resilient girl. Most of the story is not about the children who  were sold on a Monday but about the two journalists who investigated the situation. Some people in the book club did not like the fact that so much focus was on the journalists. Some thought the ending was overly dramatic. At the end of our meeting we were handed small slips of paper. If we were journalists the first slip was our  first name, the second slip was our moniker or nickname and the third slip was our last name. My journalist name Gladys "The Newshound" Cagney.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...