Friday, May 24, 2019

Care For Some Garlic Mustard Red Squirrel?

I walked to my mailbox this morning and spied some garlic mustard. Darn, those invasive species are so invasive! I pulled one and threw it into the middle of the road where it would be run over and over and over. The smelly weed came out easily because of all the rain we have had. On my way back to the house I pulled out six more. I spied another patch and pulled out fifteen. I spied another spot and pulled out four. With my arms full of delicious smelling plants I tossed them into my garbage can. Later, washing my hands at the kitchen sink I spied a red squirrel crawl on top of the chicken run. The squirrel appeared to be trying to find a way inside the coop. I watched the red rodent try all the openings on the coop before it walked away and crawled on top of a fence post. Just at that moment a tree wren swooped down from the sky and hit the red squirrel on the back. The bird dive bombed the squirrel as it ran away. Oh, so that makes sense to me now. The squirrel tried to get into the bluebird house that the tree wren in subletting and take an egg or a baby. Now, if I could only talk the squirrel or the tree wren to eat all the garlic mustard I would be all set.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...