Wednesday, May 8, 2019

You Can't Pour Water From An Empty Cup

Last night my grief group met again and the topic this week was self-care. The speaker was very engaging.  Her advice was all things I have heard before.  Eat  right. Drink water. Exercise. Sleep. Get rest. Relax. Try to have fun. Spend time in nature. Avoid harsh environments (which is why I don't watch the news on television). Be kind to yourself. Accept your feelings. Seek support. Manage stress. I have heard all that before yet it was a good reminder because the consequences of not taking care of yourself can be expensive. She talked about people ending up in the hospital with stress related illnesses. One piece of advice that I hadn't heard  before is to embrace joy without guilt. Sometimes laughing feels wrong when we think  we should be sad. But if the chance to feel joy comes around, grab that feeling and hold on to it tight because it feels good  and won't last forever. As much as I get out of listening to the speaker, the hour spent in a small group is my favorite. The four of us who have lost siblings are able to speak freely and honestly about some very difficult and painful things. I walk out of this group feeling comforted knowing I am doing what I can to take care of myself.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...