Saturday, June 13, 2020

Fox Farm Pond

Today I hiked to the Fox Farm Pond Campsite on the Superior Hiking Trail. I had a 4.1 mile hike and back. I left my car at 10:30 and didn't get here until 1. Nature was calling so I looked around for a latrine. I found none. I chose a spot well off the path because I didn't want to get caught with my pants down. I found a good spot between a 6 inch diameter tree and a 2 inch diameter tree. I figured it would be easier to get up again with these two trees to hold onto. I lowered my trousers and grabbed my trees. When I got good and low the 2 inch diameter tree broke off at ground level. I fell a couple inches to the ground and the tree fell on top of me. I struggled to get up again which was difficult. Then I thought I might as well stay down here until the deed was done. I moved my feet away from down stream and took care of business. I used the 6 inch diameter tree to get up again. Things on the trail don't always go as planned.

This campsite is by a huge beaver pond. Look at this! The level of the beaver pond is way higher than the trail. Those eager beavers did some amazing work here.

Here is another view of the beaver pond. The Superior Hiking guide said to be on the look out for signs of moose along this trail. I did not see any moose. I saw 11 other hikers but they were all heading north.

The total walk was 8.2 miles and it took me five hours to do it. I didn't make very good time. The above picture shows why. Look at that huge tree blocking the path. You can't even see the path! Getting through this spot which is really close to where I parked took me 15 minutes heading south and only 5 minutes heading north. Now I have hiked a total of 45 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail and have 288 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...