Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Newton Horace Winnchell

Today I attended a zoom session put on by the Bell Museum featuring a new book by Sue Leaf called Minnesota's Geologist. I have heard Sue Leaf speak a couple of times before and I have read all of her books except this one. She gave a synopsis of the life of Newton Horace Winnchell. He was hired by the state of Minnesota to do a geologic  and biologic survey of the entire state plus start a natural history museum. He traveled the state on foot, on horseback, by sailboat band by birchbark canoe to complete the survey. He must have been a workaholic because he also started and edited American Geologist, a professional journal for geologists.After listening to this zoom session I am very interested in reading this book someday.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...