Saturday, June 20, 2020

Solstice Walk to Big Bend

Today is the first day of summer so I decided to walk from the Fox Farm Trailhead to the Big Bend Campsite. I walked over a swamp, through a forest and then through a red pine plantation.

I walked over the west branch of the Knife River and some tributaries of the Knife River.

The mammal of the day is chipmunk. I saw three chipmunks. The first one was heard before seen. Although chipmunks are small mammals the noises they make walking around in the duff on the forest floor makes them sound a lot larger and intimidating than they really are. After hearing the first chipmunk for a few seconds, it darted out on the path in front of me. My presence must have frightened the chipmunk because it panicked and ran straight for my left shoe coming within an inch of my toe.Then the chipmunk turned and went back into the forest.

Here I am on a bridge crossing the west branch of the Knife River again. The campsite I am looking for is almost another mile ahead.

Here is the campsite!  And it has a latrine! Sweet! Such luxury!

My walk today brings me to 48.7 miles accomplished on the  Superior Hiking Trail. I have 284.3 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...