Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Yellow Swallow Tails

Today's hike was from Split Rock Lighthouse State Park to Iona Bay. Here you can see the pink rhyolite cliff that forms the pink beach at Iona Bay. 

Iona Bay's pink beach is said to be musical. If you listen closely you can hear the rocks make a tinkling noise as the waves move them around. I'd like to go and check that out someday.

I know the water is cold but it sure looks inviting to me at this moment. I saw quite a few yellow swallow tailed butterflies. Some of them played chicken with me. One of them actually won! I had to move my head back to avoid a butterfly/retiree collision.

Here I am almost back to Split Rock. If you look carefully you can see the light house sticking up beyond the trees in the center of this photo. Today I hiked 3.8 miles so that brings me up to 37.5 miles completed on the Superior Hiking Trail and only 296.5 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...