Friday, June 12, 2020

Sucker River

A full seven days was needed to rid my house of the wood ticks. I finally had a wood tick free day so I went back out on the Superior Hiking Trail. First I sprayed my hat, shoes, pants and shirt in permethrin and let it dry. I drove to the Sucker River trail head. The spur to the hiking trail at this spot is .9 mile long. That was such a long spur I thought I was lost but I eventually found it. 
I hiked across the Sucker River on a very nice bridge. This spot also had a shelter and a toilet which was an unexpected treat. For a few feet the Superior Hiking Trail shares the bridge with the North Country Trail and the shelter and toilet are for the North Country Trail. The water looked inviting. I thought about wading in and decided not to. I wondered why this was the sucker river. Is the river named after the sucker fish or the blood sucking leeches?  My hike took me along a ridge and when I got to the top I found I could see for miles. Dragonflies were plentiful. Some rested right on the path in front of me and I tried not to step on any. During the entire hike I saw no one and except for 2 planes I heard no sounds of civilization. 
I saw a few flowers blooming. The birds were quieter on this trip. I could hear the rushing of water of the Sucker River and Sucker Creek as I hiked up and down. The trail curves a lot. Sometimes I question if the designed of the Superior Hiking Trail chose the most difficult route. I started the hike at 1:15 and by 4:15 I had made it to the Sucker Creek campground. I turned around and headed back to my car. I brought my head net along in case I needed it and I was glad I did. Along the Sucker Creek the mosquitoes were fierce even with all the insect repellent I was wearing. Now I have completed 40.0 miles of the Superior Hiking trail and have 293.1 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...