Sunday, June 14, 2020

Pike Lake

Today I decided my arms needed a work out so I took my kayak out of storage, popped it in the back of the car, knotted my red scarf to the end of the kayak that protrudes, tied the door down and headed to Pike Lake. Pike Lake is north and east of my house and is the closed public landing I could find that is not on Lake Superior. Today was a windy day so I definitely did not want to be on the big lake. I found the public landing. After an inspection by a guy hired by the township to look for invasive species I learned that Pike Lake does have zebra mussels. The water was very clear. Zebra mussels are invasive but they sure do a good job cleaning the water. I headed counter clockwise around the lake which is surrounded by homes. As I paddled along the shore a guy on a jet ski pulling a huge round floating device with two girls on it zipped by me. This jet ski guy looked like he was trying to get as close to the kayaks and canoes that he could. I gave him dirty looks but the door knob kept at it the whole time I was on the lake. When I got half way up the shore the wind picked up. Now I had white caps to contend with. I tried to take the waves at an angle but some water was splashing inside the kayak. I decided to cut my trip short, head across the lake to the far side and head back to the public landing. An eagle soared overhead. A common loon popped up between me and a pontoon boat. The loon ducked under the water and I never saw where it came up again. There is something about floating on the water that is so relaxing. The waves push me around. The currents pull me this way and that. Boating is a sensory experience that I crave. I headed back to the public landing after an hour of paddling. The boat inspector carefully looked at my kayak and gave me the go-ahead. I bought this canoe eight years ago for one hundred dollars. Buying it was a wise choice because I have gotten more than one hundred dollars of enjoyment out of it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...