Thursday, July 15, 2021

McQuade Harbor

Today the weather was calm and the breeze slight so I thought I would be brave and attempt kayaking in Lake Superior. Starting in a safe place like McQuade harbor seemed like a prudent plan because, frankly, kayaking in Lake Superior scares me. The harbor was calm and safe and I got in without falling in the water.

I paddled past the piers made out of giant boulders and into Lake Superior (also known as Gitchi Gummie or the saltless sea). The water was choppier that I thought it would be. In the distance I could see Wisconsin but I can't see Wisconsin in this photo. I was bobbing up and down in the swells. My ride was fascinating and terrifying which are two of my favorite conflicting feelings to have.

Getting back alive was my main goal so after 25 minutes of paddling I headed back. In the distance is a big rocky pier on the right. The entrance to McQuade harbor is right before that big pile of rock.

Here is where I put in. You can see the Scenic route of Highway 61 above the boat landing.

A flock of Canadian geese also like this harbor.

I forgot my dry bag today so I stop at the dock to gently set my phone down just in case I get wet. I also put my water bottle and towel on the dock. The towel is to protect my bare legs from the sun shine. I wait for the anglers to leave before I get out of my kayak. The water is cold!  I make it out of my boat with relative grace for a change. What a nice ride! I could do this again. Or I could try the French River landing which is slightly closer to my house than this one.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...