Saturday, July 24, 2021

Sculpture Art

I have been off the grid traveling from Duluth to Vining, MN and back again. Note to self, taking Highway 2 out of Duluth will NOT take you to Highway 210. I didn't figure that out until I got way too far north in Grand Rapids. So then I angled south west. I stopped to buy gas is Remer, MN which is where the attendant offered to take a picture of me holding hands with Sasquatch. From that moment on I decided to get a picture of any and all roadside art on my week long journey.

I stopped to buy lunch in Menagha, MN, home of the Finns. Here is a picture of Saint Urho who drove the grass hoppers out of Finland. His legs seem short for  his body but he is a handsome Saint. 

This statue of my favorite Minnesota tall tale, Paul Bunyan, is in Akeley outside the Paul Bunyan museum. Is it just me or is his left arm a little bit long? I have a friend who lives in NE Minneapolis with the SAME beard, the SAME jeans, the SAME plaid shirt, and the SAME blue eyes. Paul Bunyan looks like he lives in NE Minneapolis. Paul Bunyan dresses like a millennial.

Vining is famous for their sculptures. Here is a cockroach in a pair of pliers.

Here is Ole the Viking standing tall in Alexandria, MN. Thirty years ago I used this statue in giving directions to a friend of mine who grew up in Afghanistan. I laughed out loud when he said he found Ole and pronounced Ole like a bullfighter would.

This statue of a grain bin with a face is in Foley, MN.

Last, but not least, this well used pencil is outside the Paramount Theater on West Saint Germain in Saint Cloud, MN

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...