Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools


"Your shoe is on inside-out! April Fool!" Yeah, I've heard better. Over the years I've pulled a few. Saran wrap over the toilet seat - messy for me, the Mom, who had to wipe up the floor. Vaseline on the door knob - again, messy for me but worth it. Remove the creme filling from an Oreo cookie and replace it with toothpaste - it's really not nice to mess with a dessert - so near and dear to people's hearts. Present a covered cake pan and offer brownies - only to find inside a pan full of brown letters shaped like an E. Again - not nice to mess with desserts. Once I think I went too far. Offspring #1 was really into Gateway computers. He loved the computers and he loved the cowskin logo. He wanted one badly. So I talked a friend of mine into calling home and pretending to be a Gateway sales rep and try and talk him into buying a computer. He went for it. He even told her to hold on while he went to look for a credit card. He wasn't so happy with me when I told him I set that up. He tried to get back at me by hiding in the kitchen pantry in a crouched position, ready to spring at me when I made supper. I took so long to open the pantry door that when he stood up and roared at me his legs were so cramped up he fell right over. He scared the ___ out of me though but watching him fall over gave me the giggles real bad. My giggling (why do I giggle when people get hurt? They don't like it but I can't seem to help it) upset him so he put a handful of white flour in my hair. I went out on the deck to get the flour out of my hair. It was all over my shirt. Since it was dark out I took my shirt off to shake it out. He turned on the deck light and locked the deck door. There was an illuminated topless me on the deck for the world to see. I've been more careful since that year - don't want to go too far. I work with a guy who has pulled some really good pranks over the years. I only know this when the victim tells me. He's had some doozies - loosening a phone cord so the headset is not quite attached and then calling the person. They answer the phone, "Hello! Hello!" and the phone continues to ring. Chaining a file drawer so someone can't get her purse and keys out to go home. He has used some superglue over the years. But I haven't heard of any pranks lately. So today I asked him about it. He said he still is pranking but doesn't want to talk about it. He added he'll think of me next year. Oh, me and my big mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone at work saran wrapped his dad's truck. His dad is our boss, so it's pretty funny.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...