Sunday, April 6, 2008

Esker

Here is a nice shot of the esker we walked on yesterday, in case you are interested. I think it's interesting especially at this time of year when I see the piles of dirty snow in my yard. All the sand and dirt left from those continential glaciers - glaciers that were 5 to 10 miles thick in places, gathered together as the glacier melted and fell into a crevice and the dirt dropped out to form this esker. These glaciers scoured our landscape nearly flat. What little elevation we have left is due to what happened when they melted. The only part of Minnesota that wasn't scraped flat by the glaciers is a little triangle down at the southeastern corner - down by LaCrosse and Lanesboro. I think the bluffs down there are absolutely breathtaking.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...