Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Do We Have a Choice?

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.…………Winston Churchill
I got into a discussion last Saturday with an interesting woman who I do not know well. We got to talking about optimists and pessimists. She asked if I thought people were born to be one or the other. I know some people who seem optimistic and others who seem pessimistic. I think they are two different breeds of people. I find it easy to put people in one category or the other. I can't recall a single time that a pessimist has ever surprised me by sounding optimistic. I consider myself to be an optimist. Sometimes I have pessimistic views but they don't last long. In the past 10 years I have tried to cultivate an "attitude of gratitude." I find life to be less painful when I'm optimistic. I am against all suffering so this works out for me. Of course, an optimist would be against suffering. I'd rather be an adventurer than a martyr. So, dear reader, what are you? Are you an optimist or a pessimist? Please take the time to complete my poll and help me in my unscientific research. Thanks! I know you'll do it - I'm an optimist!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...