Sunday, April 20, 2008

Prohibited?

Saturday was a wonderful day for me. I was busy running from morning until night. I stopped by the Environmental Expo at city hall. The raptor center was there. Oliver Kelly Farms was also there. The old fashioned farm chicken was oblivious to the hungry stare of the eagle from the raptor center. At first I would startle every time the chicken crowed but after a few minutes I almost stopped hearing it. Some alpaca farmers were really trying to get me involved in raising alpacas or at least buying their wool. The wool was very pretty but I'm not buying any wool until my current project is finished. If I'm not careful I end up like one of those crazy craft ladies who has an extra room full of craft supplies for future projects. I met some people I knew and that was fun. I picked up a book titled, "Trees of Ramsey." I opened it up and flipped through the pages as we talked. At the end of the book are 4 pages of prohibited trees. Wait, what? Prohibited trees? I can see hemp bushes being prohibited or maybe poppies, but trees? I look at the list of prohibited trees. What? Amur Maples? I have amur maples. I actually have 25 amur maples. What does prohibited mean anyway? Yeah, prohibited is not good. I ask. I gotta ask, this is freaking me out. Hello? I have 25 prohibited trees on my property. Turns out I don't have to cut them down. I can keep them. I should not buy more thought because amur maples will seed themselves and spread and take over the native species. If my amur maples spread, I should try and prevent that. I explain I got these trees from the county conservation district. He says they were behind the curve for a while. So I guess things have changed since I planted these trees about a dozen years ago. I am surprised at the list of prohibited trees because they're all available at our local nursery stores. Russian Olives are prohibited as are Japanese Barberry and Siberian Elm (sounds like anti Asia immigrant policy). Some honeysuckles are prohibited and columnar buckthorn and black locust too.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...