Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dirt

"Hey, want to come over to my house for hours and hours of back-breaking labor?" "Sure, what time?" What a wonderful family I have that agreed to come over to my house today and work. I only hope their backs are not sore tomorrow. We moved 20 cases of laminate into vehicles and hauled them into the house along with 5 roles of underlayment and miscellaneous caulk and putty. We pulled up 400 square feet of carpeting and almost 400 square feet of carpet padding. We chiseled carpet tacks out of the floor for hours. You would not believe the dirt under the carpeting! I'm talking dustpan after heaping dustpan of fine dirt. We swept up pounds of dirt. I imagine some of that dirt has been down there for over 30 years. I suppose the vacuum picked up the heavier dirt and only the fine particles could get through the carpet and the padding. The steps were the worst. I was embarrassed by all the dirt on the floor until someone pointed out that even Aunt Evelyn did not sweep underneath her carpeting. True that. Aunt Evelyn was the neatest of neat freaks. If she dropped a pickle on the floor she would scrub the entire floor. After dinner her silverware was washed, dried, and put back into the cardboard sleeves it came in. Her house was very clean. Her living room was beautiful. The furniture had thick clear plastic protectors on it and the room was roped off with a red velvet rope - the kind you see in movie theaters. We kids were not allowed in that room. I don't know how or why Aunt Evelyn did it. How did she manage such a clean house while raising five boys? Aunt Evelyn - always known for her cleanliness, her friendliness, and handing out those frozen plastic tubes of sweet juice - freezies.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...