Friday, April 25, 2008

Automobiles

Today I was a meeting where we were busy making "important policy decisions" and we started talking about cars. One guy started it by saying his car was smarter than he was. I have learned to stifle my remarks so I didn't say anything. He explained that his car can sense the raindrops on his windshield and will automatically wipe the rain away without him having to do anything. Someone asks what happens in a car wash and he explains you can override that automatic feature temporarily for car washes. His car also has a screen that shows the road behind the car when he puts the car in reverse. He tells me that his seats are heated; both front and rear seats. But they're not cooled. Some cars have heated and cooled seats - I'd never heard of such a thing. Heated seats are very cool. My first experience with a heated seat was when a friend picked me up from the Chrysler dealer before work in the morning . I had been waiting outside in the winter for her to swing by. To make me more comfortable, she preheated the passenger seat in her Buick. I sat down. I felt the heat. I said, "Uh, Jan, I am sorry to say this but I think I peed my pants." I honestly thought I had an accident. Luckily it was the heated seat I was feeling. There's more futuristic automobile features that I hadn't heard of. Some cars have heated cup holders for your hot beverages and cooled cup holders for your cool beverages. And some cars, at the push of a button, will heat your windshield fluid to a scalding 180 degrees so you can squirt your frost and snow away. Technically speaking, you could be defrosting your windshield while heating the front passenger seat for your under-dressed teenager while cooling the back seat for a menopausal friend, warming your coffee, and cooling your passenger's Mountain Dew, and viewing the road behind you while you're backing up all at the same time.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...