Saturday, July 5, 2008

Basic Motorcycle Class

Today I finished day 2 of basic motorcycle class. Wednesday was day one. We met 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. in a classroom. They made us work and work hard. We had to sit the entire time except for a 10 minute break at 7:30. At the end we took a 50 question quiz. I got 49 correct. Today we met at 6:45 a.m. at the Anoka Technical College parking lot. I regretted the early hour but I'm glad I'm not out there this afternoon because it is HOT out there on the parking lot. The parking lot is situated between Highway 10 and the railroad tracks so it can be hard to hear the instructor. Wearing a helmet doesn't help my hearing either. I did OK. I chose a Suzuki 250 motorcycle. Mine was a little battered. The front fender was broken as was the left turn signal and mirror. The gas tank was dented up too. But not by me, I didn't spill once. I was able to keep up. I think I did better because I have been riding and balancing a bicycle this summer and because I already know how to drive a standard transmission. I had a great time tooling around the parking lot. This class was challenging. The parts that looked hard - like weaving between cones - was easy once you did it once or twice. The trick is to keep looking at least one cone ahead, not at the one you're going right past. To coordinate the shifting and braking all at once is hard. To do a quick stop, you have to do two things on the right (brake and brake) and two things on the left (pull in clutch and downshift to first) - using all four extremities in one coordinated motion. But I did it. Now I am exhausted. After class a friend and I shopped for motorcycles at a local Honda dealer. If I pass this class tomorrow, I think I'll be in the market for a 250 or 450 cc motorcycle. Then I went home and took a nap. I could see cones in my sleep. My hands are tired and my collarbones ache. I must be using chest muscles that I don't normally use. My back is fine though. Tomorrow is the last class and the final exam. Even if I don't get my motorcycle endorsement tomorrow, I have to congratulate myself on doing something this challenging.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...