Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Day Off Work


I took the day off work today and oh, what a beautiful day it was. We met for breakfast at the Good Earth restaurant. We asked if it would be alright if I left my car there for a few hours. The waiter said he's never seen a car towed out of there but we shouldn't rely on anything he has to say. I laughed out loud. If we shouldn't rely on anything he has to say, shouldn't we be able to rely on that? We headed over to Minneapolis to drive around the lakes. We stopped at Lake Calhoun and rented a two person kayak. We kayaked and yakked. We observed sailing lessons going on around us. We saw a group of eight tiny sail boats with young (ages 5 or 6?) kids learning how to sail. These boats were like bathtubs with a single sail. These little kids sailed by us and waved, very nonchalant. When my kids were that age I only let the row the boat if the anchor was secured to the dock. They could go as far as the anchor rope could stretch. These little tykes were sailing around and around in circles. It almost looked like synchronized sailing. The older kids had bigger boats with two sails. Some of them were messing up right and left. We saw 3 fall overboard. One sail boat tipped over. The instructors were in fishing boats with megaphones. The instructors didn't seem to be a lot of help saying things like, "Vanessa, why are you out of the boat again?" Comments after a bad thing has happened aren't all that useful. Back on shore again we headed over to Saint Sabrina's so one of us could get a nose piercing. Yeah, I wasn't interested before and I'm sure not interested now after observing. Whew. As we drove east down Franklin Avenue we stopped for a red light. A small grocery store had lettering on the window advertising "Meats Camel Goat Kidneys BBQ Cell Phone Cards." I didn't think cell phone card were a kind of meat. On the other side of the door were other words. "Pizz Puff" Pizz Puff? What is that? It doesn't sound very appetizing to me. Maybe it's pizza puff and someone rubbed out the final a but even so, what is pizza puff? As I looked further down the list of words, it said (I swear I am not making this up) bugers. They sell bugers there. Did someone rub out the r on burgers or do you think they really sell nasal congestion?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...