Thursday, July 24, 2008

I've Had Enough of Cormac McCarthy

I just finished listening to a book on CD called "The Crossing" by Cormac McCarthy. I resolve this is enough of Cormac McCarthy. I was enthralled by the book and disgusted by the violence and hardship in the book. This Cormac McCarthy must be depressed to write such mordant, suffering stories. The violence was too much. I had to share it with two other people to get it out of my system and it disgusted them too. I liked this book and I hated this book. I liked the description of the wildlife, especially the she wolf and the cranes. The book starts out talking about a young man in New Mexico who sets out to trap a wolf who was taking cattle from his family's herd. He eventually traps the wolf only to regret it later and try to return it to it's home in Mexico. He leads this pregnant wolf (muzzled and bandaged) on a rope while he rides on horseback. The kid is only 16 - not old enough to know that this plan is not going to work. You can't lead a wolf to Mexico without dogs and men interfering. It would have been much kinder to shoot the poor wolf while she lay in her trap. He ends up crossing across the New Mexico/Mexico border several more times and each time his situation worsens. This book is the second in a trilogy of border stories. The first book, "All The Pretty Horses" is another book I've read and again, it's a sad and sorrowful story. It's not as violent as "The Crossing" but it's definitely not a happy story. The characters (mostly men) are engaging and believable but golly, why don't they get a steady job and settle down? Why all this riding to Mexico? It's dangerous! Why can't they sleep in beds at night and eat regular meals? Why must they all be without the basic comforts of life? My book club chose "The Road" recently which is the third book I've read by this depressed man. "The Road" is a story about the end of the world where a man and his son are traveling. Of course they're traveling. No one in Cormac McCarthy books stays home and is comfortable. All his characters are tired and hungry and in danger. While I'm ranting, let me tell you another thing about Cormac McCarthy. He doesn't use punctuation! Who does he think he is? ee cummings? Cormac, I suggest you take some anti depressants, get counseling and trying using quotation marks so I can tell who is talking!!!!! Have you seen "No Country For Old Men?" It's based on one of his novels. I'm not going to see it. I've had enough of Cormac McCarthy.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...