Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Good Day


My friend, Ed, helped me pick up my motorcycle today. We drove up to Bradford and talked to Lewis. He had installed the rear signal indicators. He cleaned up the seat. He showed us how to get the seat off. I guess motorcycles do have a glove box - it's underneath the seat. We threw the license plate in there because I need to buy a license plate bracket before the plates can be mounted. I led the way and Ed followed. Gosh, my bike looks good in the rear view mirror. Ed said he got the bike up to 65, almost 70 mph to see if there was any shimmy or shaking and he said he found none. We doubt the bike had ever gone that fast before because all the miles were motorcycle training parking lot miles. We got it home and in the garage and Ed asked if he could take it to his house so he could add a gasoline stabilizer and polish out the scratches in the gas tank. What am I gonna say, "No?" So Ed left with my motorcycle. I was sad to see them leave. But 15 minutes later Ed returned with a polished bike and a smoother running engine. Ed says he's going to take me biking in Ramsey and show me some nice quiet roads to travel. He wants to hear about my trips on the motorcycle and I am to call him if I need any help with it. I need to get Ed a nice gift certificate somewhere. I got insurance today as well. I was talking to my insurance agent and when we were nearly done she says, "Do you realize that your name and the name of your motorcycle sound almost identical?" Well, yes, I did. I have a couple more things to get. Mirrors are on order and I need to pick up a license plate bracket. My biggest worry is a helmet. There are so many options. I want to be safe more than stylish so I am thinking about a full face helmet in a bright color. I tried several of them on but dang, they push my curly hair forward and into my eyes. I can't get my fingers inside the helmet to push the hair out of my eyes so I am blinded by my curls. With all the heat and humidity lately, my hair is curly like a poodle and at least three times it's normal volume. I think I need a skull cap or bandanna to compress my hair to my head and then try on a helmet. My motorcycle safety instructors mentioned white as a safer color than black. I definitely want to get a helmet before riding, even around the block. I am leaving on Thursday for a cross country trip to visit Offspring #1 in Connecticut. So if I don't get a helmet before Thursday, I will get one first thing when I get back. I won't be able to blog everyday while traveling. It's possible I won't be able to blog at all while I am gone. I'll tell you about my trip when I return.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...