Monday, July 7, 2008

First Harvest


I had my first harvest from the garden today - some broccoli and one jalapeno pepper. Normally, harvesting fresh vegetables from the garden would be a pleasant experience but this one was tempered by the fact that the DEER ATE THE TOP OFF MY ROW OF SUNFLOWERS AND NOW ALL I HAVE LEFT IS A ROW OF STICKS! Dang deer, how could I think they were cute? I have a fence around the garden. Maybe I should add a wire at a higher height and hang shiny objects off to scare them. It's frustrating to go through all the work of planting and nursing the sunflowers only to have the chewed off before their prime. Only one scraggly sunflower is left. This lonely sunflower plant is so scraggly the deer must have mistaken it for a weed. Why don't deer eat weeds? Weeds must not be as tasty. The deer have also been eating the tops off the larger tomato plants.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...