Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Estes Park, Colorado


My friend and I went to visit her son in Estes Park, Colorado. We flew to Denver and rented a car. We had arranged for an economy car. She drives a Prius and I drive a Civic so an economy car seemed to be a good choice. This is the third car I have rented this year and I gotta say, those rental car employees really push you to spend more money. This one in Denver was a pro. First he asks where we are going. Then he says at that altitude, they recommend a 4 wheel drive and a 6 cylinder vehicle.

"No," I say. "We want an economy car."

He leads us out to the lot and points disdainfully at a Toyota Yaris. We look. It's true that the car is about one third shorter than you would expect. I ask for a four door. He says they don't have that. He then says, smiling and nodding his head up and down, for only $28 we can get a Camry. He is a handsome guy and he has a fabulous smile. I find myself becoming mesmerized. My friend figures this means $28 per day which sounds cheaper than our economy car price. She sounds interested. He continues to smile and nod his head yes. I ask, "That is $28 more, right?"

He says, "No, not $28 more per day, $28 for the entire time."

"No," I repeat. "We want an economy car."

Then he asks if we want the basic insurance or the recommended insurance. I tell him we have insurance and don't need anymore. "Really?" he asks, "How much is your deductible?"

He is still smiling and nodding his handsome head up and down, physically showing me how to agree to spend more money. He's so handsome I can't remember the name of my car insurance company much less my deductible. I shake my head to break the spell. "We don't need more insurance."

Eventually he gives up on us and gives us the keys to the car. Throughout the entire trip as this little Toyota Yaris climbs up mountain roads and traverses the Trail Ridge Road (highest mountain pass in the state) without any trouble, I think about this rental car salesman who said this car didn't have enough power for the elevation. What a bunch of baloney.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...