Tuesday, September 22, 2009

LOTS of Company When I Got Home Tonight


When I pulled in my driveway about 6:30 tonight, the yard was crowded with visiting grackles. I estimate there were between 50 and 100 grackles in the trees, the driveway, and the grass. They all were black birds with longish, wedge shaped tails and a blue sheen to their heads. I felt honored to have a flock in my yard. Their collective voices were not especially beautiful. What was beautiful is their aerial dances. How do they decide which way to fly in a flock? Is someone leading the performance? Their behavior appears too whimsical to be planned. Each flying decision must be instantaneous because I've never seen them crash into each other. I read grackles are snowbirds. I'll bet they're flocking up for the trip south. Where do they plan to stay? Will they winter in Florida, Georgia, Alabama or Louisiana? Will they miss me as much as I will miss them?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...