Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Families Are Fascinating


A large part of my job is meeting with families. I love that part of the job because to me, families are fascinating. We talk about progress and vocational goals at these meetings. Sometimes people have barriers that keep them from getting or keeping their ideal job. Maybe the barrier is the way they handle anger or comments that others find offensive. So we talk about the barriers with the families and how we're going to work on overcoming those barriers. I've seen a mother slap the table in frustration in the exact same way her son does. I've seen a father tilt his chin in the exact same way his daughter does when she's making a joke. I've seen a sister wiggle her fingers when she laughs in the exact same way her brother wiggles his fingers. I think to myself, 'so that is where that comes from.' I wonder how much of what I do is actually me and how much is my family? Can I be totally separated from where I came from? Offspring #2 says I say "Yeah, yeah, yeah." the exact same way my father and one sister do. Is that true? I remember when she started talking and I thought to myself, "Do I sound like that? I had better be more careful in what I say if I'm going to have it repeated like this!" Whenever I see one family member act just like another family member, I get a little thrill down my spine. Families are fascinating.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...