Friday, September 18, 2009

I Might Have Stayed In Bed


I got up this morning at 6 o'clock as usual. If I had known what would happen today, I might have stayed in bed. It wasn't a bad day overall but several individual incidents were a little hairy. I rode my motorcycle to work as I have done every day this week. The weather has been good. In the morning I drive through the fog and head east on Bunker Lake Boulevard. The extra large sun rises through the clouds "Like a Red Rubber Ball." I cut over to Main Street. Traffic was slow. I signalled my intention to take a right on University Avenue. I waited until the turn lane appeared as a good driver is supposed to do. Lucky for me, I was cautious in my entrance to the turn lane because the car behind me did not wait for the turn lane to start and was RIGHT THERE. And yes, I do owe another dollar to my swearing jar. Later in the morning I had a meeting in Anoka. On my return to Blaine I had to stop at Kohl's to pick up one item. And no, I'm not doing my personal shopping when I am supposed to be working. I was there to pick up an item for work. You might think me lucky to be able to shop and get paid for it but I really don't like shopping. I found my item and turned to walk to the cash register. I had my boots on (because I was riding my motorcycle). The lace of my left boot got caught on the lace hook of my right boot. My upper body was in motion to stride forward but my feet, tangled up in the lace, could take only teensy tiny steps forward. You can't fight physics and gravity can be a bitch. Down I went, smack on the aisle floor of Kohls. Ouch. My knee hurt a little, my palm hurt a little, but my pride was seriously injured. A nice woman helped me to my feet. One of my coworkers tripped over her feet at work on Tuesday and fell in the hallway. I immediately thought of her and was glad I didn't fall at work. I prefer to fall in the company of complete strangers. That thought made me feel better. Later, on my ride home, I was traveling north on University. I heard a firetruck behind me. I signalled a right turn and moved to the shoulder. The red truck behind me did not notice the firetruck and moved ahead. Just as the firetruck got under the Highway 10 overpass, it honked it's ginormously loud horn scaring a little white car from the left lane over to the shoulder where it struck the red truck. Wow, that could have been me if I hadn't pulled over. I'm glad I am home safe and sound. If I had known this morning that I would witness two accidents too close for comfort and fall down on my hands and knees, I might have stayed in bed.

2 comments:

Kathleen Riley said...

I am so glad you are all right.

Sue said...

Thanks, just a black and blue knee.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...