Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Frost


Frost came hard last night. I'm sad to see my annuals wither and turn black. On the other hand, I've less watering to do in the evening. Another benefit is that I can now plant garlic. I read in the newspaper this summer about growing garlic. Wait until after the first frost. Take any bulb of garlic and break it into cloves. Plant each clove. Next summer each clove will grow into it's own bulb. I have two kinds of garlic to plant. One is the regular stuff I get at the grocery store - the soft necked garlic which is easier to braid. My other garlic is a stiff necked garlic that I bought at a farmer's market. This garlic has a stiff stem and more of a purple color to it. I want to plant both and see which one I like better. I think I'll plant them this weekend when I dig up my carrots and 3 kinds of potatoes. Besides the frost, I noticed my rooster was crowing from inside the coop this morning, muffling his loud morning greeting. I felt sorry for the poor hens who had to listen to them in such a tight space. Another seasonal first for me today - I turned on the furnace. How can I relax in 62 degrees? I wouldn't put up with this low heat in December and I'm not putting up with it today. All day I freeze in my office. I had two long sleeved shirts on today and I still had to put a lap blanket on my lap. All summer I freeze in my office and wear a fleece blanket over my legs. It's ridiculously cold in my office. I deserve comfort at home.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...