Saturday, September 19, 2009

Highway 3

This year the summer is hanging on and I took full advantage of it. I might have stayed home and done something responsible like clean the house or finish home improvement projects or craft projects but I didn't. I biked to Northfield to visit Offspring #2. I started out heading southeast on old Highway 10. I don't normally take any freeways. My little motorcycle has only a 250 cc engine and isn't made to go over 60 mph for very long. My issue with freeways might partially be a mental barrier. This time I dared merge onto Hwy. 694 only long enough to get off on Snelling. Later I was glad I dared to do this. I followed Snelling south to Larpenteur. I headed east and went south again on Rice Street. I drove through downtown resisting the urge to beep my horn and hear the echo between the tall buildings. I crossed the river on Robert Street. Robert Street will take you all the way into Northfield. I was very excited to climb the Robert Street Hill that comes after you cross Ceasar Chavez Boulevard. A sun face decorates the bridge at the top of the hill and the black eyes of the sun watched me climb up. I drove through West St. Paul. I struggled with a detour because it took me on Highways 52 and 55 for short distances. Since I had already tackled Hwy. 694, these highways didn't seem so bad. Then I was back on Highway 3 (Robert Street). I traveled through downtown Rosemount and through Farmington. Soon enough I was in Northfield. I had traveled 72 miles - a few miles less than my usual trip on Hwy. 35. I drove almost 2 1/2 hours to get there which is double my usual trip length. But I had fun. I took Highway 3 north to get home again. I think it's funny how the trip in the opposite direction has completely different scenery. This time I did toot my horn in downtown St. Paul. It does echo between the tall building - just in case you didn't know that. I took University Avenue east so I could motor north on Lexington through Como Park. I went east on Highway 694 (brave, aren't I?) and west on old Highway 10 on home. Nice day for a bike ride. There is always time tomorrow to be responsible.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...