Tuesday, September 29, 2009


The wind we had on Sunday and Monday was so strong. How strong was it? The wind was strong enough to blow away summer leaving autumn to fill in the void. The wind was strong enough to blow a dozen black walnuts to the ground in front of my house. The squirrels love these walnuts. The pesky varmints take them to the sidewalk or my stone wall and peel them leaving the green and black husks to stain my cement. After the walnut is peeled, the squirrels dig holes in the ground to bury them. The holes are deep enough that all but the squirrel's tail and haunches are below ground. To avoid all these holes in the grass by my house, I pick up each walnut, put it to my nose to inhale it's lovely scent, and then whip it across the yard as far as I can throw. If I'm going to the mailbox, I'll whip it down the driveway and or down the road. Tonight I brought in my ficus plant, my fern, and my herb pot with basil and parsley. I heard there might be a frost.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...