Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Where We Stayed In Estes Park


Estes Park is about a 2 hour drive northwest of Denver. We arrived in the afternoon and went to the school where her son is the wilderness department head at an experiential-based high school. He took us to his cabin on the other side of town. He lives a few hundred feet from the Rocky Mountain National Park. He has a manly cabin that made both of us jealous of the simplicity and the charm. We both would be happy to downsize our lives and live in a small place like this. The cabin has one bedroom, a bathroom with a shower, a small kitchen, and a small sitting room with a fireplace. He has a small deck and a shed in the back. From the picture window we could see Long's Peak - a landmark mountain in this area. My friend's son was nice enough to let us use his cabin. He stayed with a friend during our trip. Can you believe his hospitality? Move out and let his Mom and her friend take over his house? Would you do that for your Mom? I doubt many people would. I slept in the front room on a futon. Futons are more comfortable for my back than my own bed. While I lay on the futon, I looked out the window. I could see Long's Peak, a full moon, and a tree. I slept for a while. When I woke again, I could see Long's Peak, Orion's belt, and a tree. When I woke the third time I could see Long's Peak, peach colored clouds in a pale blue sky, and a tree. When I woke for the final time, I could see Long's Peak, orange clouds, and a tree. We sure had nice digs on our trip!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...