Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another Road Trip


Last night three sisters went on the second frog and toad survey road trip. Armed with our awesome frog and toad listening skills, paper, pens, maps, flashlights and a special CD burned for the trip, we toured Kannebec County in the dark. Our CD included those old hits, near and dear to your heart, such as Purple People Eater, Old Man River, Rod Stewart : ), Melissa Etheridge, a comedy sketch about frogs with Bill Cosby, father and son Dylan, George Benson, KD Lang, and Beyonce. We heard six species of frogs. Some of the spring peepers were so loud they were crowding out the other frogs. Besides peepers we heard chorus frogs, northern leopard frogs, American toad, Gray tree frogs and Green frogs (see photo). On this trip the green frog was my favorite. I love their sound because it reminds me of Goofy, the Disney dog character. The green frog sounds like the pluck of a loose banjo string or an old-fashioned well pump. We heard them at six of our ten stops. Green frogs are shy. They don't call when we first get out of the car. They wait until 3 or so minutes have gone by and then they make their call. I have never heard one before last night so I got pretty excited. Last night was warm and calm. Before darkness fell we saw bunches and bunches of brilliant white trillium flowers in the woods. The deer were leaping about like rabbits; I believe we saw more than a dozen. The stars were shining and a sliver of a moon hung in the sky. I'm dragging today because I stayed out so late but it was worth it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...