Thursday, May 27, 2010

Frogs in the Garden


Yesterday I cleaned out my pond. I have a plastic insert pond that is about 3 feet deep. The water was thick with slimy algae. Offspring #2 and I emptied it with buckets. I got down in there to empty the final amount of water with a soup can. I scooped out all the leaves, sticks, and swollen crab apples. Watery angleworms were everywhere in the muck. This was not a pleasant smelling task. I was standing in the pond finishing up when two frogs moved. One was a leopard frog and one was a green frog. Wow, did I jump! And scream! The frogs panicked at the sight of that. I decided there was enough room for all three of us and proceeded to work around them. When the pond was mostly clean, I left a stick propped so they could escape on their own time. I came back a couple hours later with a broom and a bleach/water mixture to scrub the green scum off the sides of the pond. Both frogs had escaped. After I emptied the pond of the bleach and water mix I refilled it. Today I worked on the garden to the east of the pond. I dug up all the perennials and arranged them so the garden appeared more organized. The daisies went in one spot, the black eyed Susans in another and the bluebells on the edge. While I'm working, the leopard frog appears. I keep working with my shovel, crowding the frog farther and farther from the pond. Eventually he jumps on my bare foot. Again with the jumping and screaming. I wish I could control that reaction - it's just a frog. Plop - he jumped back in the pond. I do not like the sight of a bloated dead frog floating in my pond. Every year I wedge a wide stick under the rocks and extending into the pond so frogs can climb aboard and escape. Lets hope he or she uses it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...