Friday, May 21, 2010

Robin Hood


A friend and I went to see the new movie, "Robin Hood" last night. Russel Crow played Robin and Cate Blanchett played Maid Marian. Max Van Sydow played her father-in-law. Usually I can't stand more than a little violence. This movie had violence but it wasn't overplayed. Somehow arrows don't seem as violent as gun shots or switch blades or wood chippers. There was a lot of action. During the war episodes the camera shots gave us glimpses. It was hard to see anything clearly; almost like watching a strobe light. I found it a little overwhelming to my senses. Friar Tuck was a bee-keeping, honey mead swiller. Robin was a knight on a white horse who saves Maid Marian. Later she rides a black horse and oh, I don't want to give too much away. In the beginning of the show when Robin and King Richard are returning from the Crusades and raiding castles to finance their way home, those are gray tree frogs chirping in the background. Later, when Robin is plotting with his merry men in Sherwood Forest, Nottingham, those are leopard frogs making their rattling snore. Frog sounds have infiltrated my brain.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...