Monday, May 31, 2010

Breeding Birds


Today I decided to do some work on my breeding bird atlas project. I scoped out the northeast section by car. I stopped at four places. I saw rock doves, tree swallows, barn swallows (see above, courtesy of flicker), brown headed cowbirds, sedge wren, red winged blackbird, pileated woodpecker, mourning dove, a sharp shinned hawk, and red bellied woodpecker. I went to the bridge where the Rum River flows beneath County Road 7. I thought swallows might be nesting under there but couldn't see very well from shore. I wasn't able to confirm any species breeding. I wished I had a kayak so I could travel down stream and look some more. I went home and documented what I saw. What next? I said to myself in an Eeyore voice, "I suppose I might as well go and get some groceries." Somebody knocked at the door. Offspring #2 was here. "Want to do something?" I asked. Before he could change his mind I had the paddles and life jackets ready to go and we were hoisting that canoe on his car. We put in about the 16900 block and upstream we went. We canoed north to the Rum River Central Park before floating back down. There were barn swallows nesting under that bridge. Wooo Hoo! Barn swallows confirmed on the nest. I also confirmed Canadian geese when we saw a momma hiding her gosling behind some weeds as we paddled by. We saw only one turtle - a painted splashing off a log. We heard green frogs playing their loose banjo strings at each other. I love the shape of the silver maples that line the river bank. They form graceful arches over the water. Today was a great day for canoeing. I wish I could go canoeing as often as I get groceries.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...