Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Conference Day Three

Sunday was the last day of the conference. I got up early. I had a choice of either a bird hike or a mushroom hunt. I chose the mushroom hunt. Actually we didn't hunt. We sat and talked about mushrooms. The presenter was a quiet, short little lady with John Lennon glasses. She seemed so meek but once she started talking, my jaw dropped open. This lady was an EXPERT on mushrooms. She belongs to the St. Paul mushroom society. She is called in on cases of possible mushroom poisonings. She enjoys eating mushrooms but eating is not her main interest. I had to ask, "Why are you so interested in mushrooms?" She replied, "I enjoy taxonomy." Wow, she must really enjoy taxonomy. Some species can only be identified by their spores seen under a microscope. We had a good discussion and the hour just flew by. I know there are several safe species of mushrooms to eat but I don't think I would eat any unless someone looked at them for me first. At breakfast I bid on more silent auction items. I kinda went crazy. But the prices were so good! I couldn't help myself. We went to a class on prairie plant identification. Our last class of the day was on likable, lovable lichens. Lichens - that gray, green or orange stuff that grows on rocks and tree bark - is neither a plant or an animal. Lichens are a combination of fungus and algae and some include bacteria too. One person in the group loves lichens and learned about the many kinds found here in this state. Amazing how much there is to know about lichens. Before lunch I had to figure out how many items I won at the silent auction. I hoped I didn't win all that I bid on. (Off topic - my indigo bunting is back for the first time - he's so pretty!) I got a hand knitted hat very cheap. I got a wren house very cheap. I got a container of maple syrup for only $15. I got a shelf with cardinals on it for only $4. For $7 I got a trio of caterpillar photos in one frame. I got some birch sculptures for only $3. I took my bounty out to the car and paid my bill. I did go a little crazy on the silent auction but the prices were awesome. After lunch we intended to visit a tortoise farm near Granite Falls. We confused state highway 7 for a county road 7. Eventually we saw a sign that said South Dakota, 20 miles. Oh, oh, we knew we went the wrong way. We bought gas in Ortonville and headed straight east on home. What a great weekend. I can hardly wait for the convention next year. The learning was fun; the field trips were fun; but spending time with people with similar interests was the best part of all.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...