Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bird in Motion


Last night when I got home I heard an unfamiliar bird. I decided I would track it down to identify the bird call. I got my binoculars and looked from the driveway but couldn't spot it. I walked around the yard. The bird kept calling and calling. The wind was blowing so hard the trees were in motion. I looked and could see chickadees and chipping sparrows but not the bird making the call. I scanned the tree tops with my binoculars. Wow, that was enough to make me seasick. Finally I spotted the calling bird on top of a dead elm. It was a goldfinch calling. Frankly, I was a little disappointed. After all that work you'd think I'd find something a little more exotic that a common goldfinch.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...