Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thoreau and the Art of Life-Reflections on Nature and the Mystery of Existence


"Thoreau and the Art of Life-Reflections on Nature and the Mystery of Existance" is a long titled book edited and with an introduction by Roderick MacIver. Roderick MacIver also did the cover watercolor painting ("Traversing the Hills") and all the watercolor art inside the book. I myself have mixed feelings about Thoreau but I got this book for free from Literary Thing as an early reviewer so I'm not going to complain. The editor/artist selected words from Thoreau's writing and compiled them into eleven chapters. Aging, disease, death is one chapter. Relations with oneself is a chapter. The art of living a meaningful life is another chapter. Thoreau's words can be inspiring. Roderick MacIver's watercolors can be just as inspiring. Watercolor is not my favorite medium but this guy is a fantastic artist. His depictions of an Arctic tern, a wood thrush, a loon, a cedar waxwing and sandpiper are amazing. His depictions of birches, moose, and a canoe sitting on the rocks in a bay made me wish I had a copy to hang in the living room.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...