Thursday, May 20, 2010

Barrel


I picked up my rain barrel last weekend. Like it? The black hose on the front has a valve so I can drain the water into other containers. To me it looks like a giant piece of root beer hard candy. I set it in the front garden in among the lily of the valley. I took down the long downspout on the gutter and replaced it with a shorter length. I attached the end curvy part and secured it to the wall. The water from about 37% of my roof will drain into this barrel. If the barrel fills completely, the overflow will drain out onto the sidewalk. I hope to use this rainwater collection to water the plants in the front yard and possibly the chickens. If this works out well, I might get more. I have four more downspouts. You can see my lily of the valley is about to bloom. I picked one last night and laid it on my pillow when I went to sleep. I lurve the smell of lily of the valley.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Awesome! I saw one on my walk yesterday, and I thought to myself "Why doesn't Mom have one of those?" It turns out you must have been thinking the same thing!

Sue said...

Awww, you are so sweet.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...