Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chicken Feet




Last month I blogged about my chicken, Phyllis, and her missing left talon. I took pictures in case you wanted to see it. As I'm taking pictures, I tried to get one with the missing talon and another one for comparison. Chickens, like chickens tend to do, were crowding all around me and getting too close for comfort. One landed in my lap. Chickens have no sense of personal boundaries. I'm forever saying, "Back up. You're in my bubble. I need more space." I was shooting chicken feet and looking for a good shot of a left outer talon when I saw Phyllis wasn't the only chicken missing a talon. The second photo is Phyllis' right outer toenail which is intact. The first photo shows Phyllis' right toenail and Meredith's left toenail which is also amputated. You might think she has four toes but no, she is just stepping on a twig. Both Meredith and Phyllis are missing their left outer talons. If you remember, Meredith is the runaway chicken who went AWOL the first ten days of October before she was found roosting on a neighbor's porch. Lord knows what she went through in those ten days. I'm lucky she came back alive at all. These missing talons tell a story. I'm just not sure what the story is.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Maybe its a genetic defect? They're most likely sisters, so that might explain it. Either that or its a really weird coincidence. lol

Sue said...

Oh, that could be. I'm going to study all their feet now.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...