Monday, May 24, 2010

Green Decisions

I was gone all weekend and I haven't completely planted my garden yet. So I took vacation this week to plant and relax and finish some projects around the house. I went to a local garden store this morning to buy some plants. I needed tomatoes of course. Why I bought sixteen is beyond me. I don't need that many. I planted most of those already. I bought some jalapeno and bell peppers in case I make salsa. My onions, garlic and potatoes are already in. Most of the rest of the garden goes in as seed. I was debating. Should I get cucumbers? The chickens love cucumbers. I don't like them myself. That might draw the chickens into the garden where they'll start eating tomatoes so I decided against cucumbers. Then I saw the cabbage and the kohlrabi. I love both cabbage and kohlrabi. I usually plant kohlrabi but I have planted cabbage before. I like the fact that kohlrabi is smaller than cabbage. Both taste delicious. Cabbage or kohlrabi? Kohlrabi or cabbage? I was standing there, sweating inside the greenhouse, trying to decide. I looked at the broccoli and the cauliflower. I've grown both of those before without much success. Cabbage or kohlrabi? Then I spied the brussel sprouts - small like kohlrabi but also look like little cabbages! I chose the brussel sprouts. Are they good? I don't think I've ever eaten one. A vegetarian ought to try all the vegetables. I brought them up to the counter. A hard working woman was in charge. Sweat was running off her. She asked me, in a strong German accent, if I waited until the first frost to harvest my brussel sprouts. I said I hadn't grown them before. She told me her mother grew them in the old country. Waiting until frost makes them taste sweeter. She said I could wait until the frost or freeze them before eating them. "Serve them with butter and nutmeg", she said putting her fingers to her lips like an Italian, "They will be delicious." I hope tomorrow will be cooler and overcast so I can get the rest of the plants into the soil.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...