Saturday, May 19, 2012

Busy Saturday

This is Herman the German who overlooks the town of New Ulm. 

This marks the grave of a victim of the Dakota Conflict in1862

Minneopa Falls
Today was a busy day for me.  I spent the morning learning about dragon flies and damsel flies.  After lunch we took a tour of New Ulm.  I wasn't disappointed that we couldn't go the Schells brewery but other people were.  We stopped at the museum and the Herman the German statue. I was surprised to learn that Herman is the second largest state in our country.  I climbed the 99 stairs to be a good view of the Minnesota river valley and the town of New Ulm. We toured the Pioneer cemetery.   We drove around the town admiring the German architecture.  We had a walking tour through downtown and an explanation of the Dakota Uprising that happened 150 years ago this year.  That story deserve a separate blog entry.  We then went to Minneopa State Park to admire the falls and have a picnic supper.  Then I had an 8 block walk back to my room at the Butler House.  Whew!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...