Thursday, May 3, 2012

Run

Run was written by Ann Patchett.  I read it because people in my book club really liked her novel Bel Canto.  And although I enjoyed this story, I'm not impressed enough to recommend it to others.  Ann Patchett writes well.  Her character development varies.  As I read it I felt the story was implausible.  The plot didn't have a true feeling to it.  Bernard Doyle, the family patriarch and former mayor of Boston, didn't feel real to me.  His three sons, Sullivan, Tip and Teddy felt a little more real.  The other characters, Kenya, Tenessee, Bernadette and Uncle Sullivan lack full structure.  Run is a good book to pass the time but not a page turner or a book where you think about the characters for days after you have finished it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...