Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dancing

Last night was my dance class - the Thriller/Michael Jackson line dance.  I had an absolute blast.  We had a great teacher. She was funny, encouraging, talented, and enthusiastic.  The older I get the more I realize how much I appreciate enthusiasm in a teacher.  All you teachers out there - don't hold back your enthusiasm.  I love it.  We had 13 students ranging from late teens to sixties I guess.  We had two sets of couples (one late teenagers and the other in their early 40's).  We had a mother with two daughters. The mother arranged a surprise evening for her daughters (late teens/early 20's). She took them out for dessert and then to the dance class.  Her daughters had no idea what they were getting into but they loved it.  Our teacher asked us why we came.  I came because I love Michael Jackson music. I dance to it every weekend anyway when I clean the house.  Now I can pretend I'm one of his back up dancers!  One older woman said she was here for the line dance class and what was Thriller and who was Michael Jackson?   She did fairly well considering she was expecting to hear country music.  One person came because it was more fun that watching television.  I had to agree with that.  Our teacher led us through two moves at a time. Then she paired them and we practiced.  Gradually our paired sets of moves grew longer until we had all the moves down.  She made the moves into a story so we could remember them better.  And she had a unique way of teaching.  For example, one move she called the "Michael Jackson" move.  We stood with feet apart and most of our weight on the right leg, left toe touching the ground.  Our right hand lays flat on the front of the right hip (not over the crotch but over the right hip).  The left arm is extended straight except the hand dangles down at the wrist.  For three counts we contract the buttocks, rock our hips and simultaneously lift our left hand as if a puff of wind pushed it up.  As she does this she says, "Squeeze!  Squeeze!  Squeeze!" in a high pitched and unforgettable voice.  What a hoot!  Our class was in a middle school gymnasium and it was hot and humid in there.  We were worn out after an hour and a half of dancing.  I was glad my body cooperated and I could enjoy the evening.  Our instructor asked for suggestions for future classes.  The older woman suggested country line dance.  I suggested Beyonce's "Put A Ring On It." 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...