Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Preparing

For the last two summers, thanks to the support and companionship of friends and family, I've been able to participate in the Mississippi River Challenge - a two day canoe or kayak trip/fundraiser for "Friends of the Mississippi River."  This year, I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it.  I didn't have my former paddling friends this year.  Lucky for me, in talking with another master naturalist, I found a traveling companion.  The trip is back on!  I am excited!   This year, to avoid accidentally allowing Asian carp into the locks (while trying to support the natural beauty of the river) the trip is not starting in Coon Rapids.  Instead we are starting in Bloomington and spending the first day on the Minnesota River.  The second day will be the same - starting at Fort Snelling and paddling down to Cottage Grove.  A 22 mile per day trip is not really easy but not really hard either.  There is no hurry and we're going with the current.  A kayak is easier on my back than a canoe.  And I've got strong arms.  What I don't have is strong skin on my palms.  Both years, by the last break on Sunday afternoon, I had blisters on my palms that really bother me.  I wear gloves the entire two day trip and I still get blisters.  Last year I put "Nu Skin" liquid bandage on my palms to help protect them plus the gloves and I still got blisters.  My blisters show up at the base of my fingers.  It's not an easy spot to bandage and protect.  So this year, I'm going to prepare by toughening up my palms.  Usually I wear gloves when I mow, shovel, hoe and rake.  Not this summer. I'm going gloveless.  I am going to grow me some calluses.  No more baby-soft hands for me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...