Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Nice Compliment!

I work with this guy.  He's handsome in a Ben Affleck kind of way.  He's so nice. I've worked with him for a dozen years or so.  I think he was 18 years old when I first met him.  If I was 35 years younger and if he wasn't married, I would be interested.  Today he asked me about my latest cop class.  I told him about how I had to cover my eyes for the photos of the crime scene investigations and how I was glad, that on this Wednesday night, I would be home, in my recliner, relaxing early for a change.  He said he wished he had the kind of life I lead.  Now this guy, he's tall, he's dark, he's handsome.  He's happily married.  He's athletic. He is on several organized sport teams and a trivia league in Andover.  He leads a busy life. He wishes he had my life? He explains, "I like how you take these cop classes, how you listen for frogs and birds, and how you canoe down the rivers."  I am amazed.  I ask, "Would you like to take my place for a hip replacement next week?"  Yes, I am having a hip replacement next week and suffering anxiety over the ordeal ahead. I am planning for it.  I am making meals ahead and freezing them.  I am organizing my house and finding supplies.  I am making arrangements for people to take my responsibilities at work.  The dang left hip is all I think about. Except now.  His compliment takes my mind off my hip.  He quickly clarifies, "No, I don't want your life.  I just want some of the experiences you have."  Wow! What a nice compliment.  Seriously.  Just wow.  I am humbled.  He's such a nice guy.  Wow.  Today I had a moment I want to remember.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...