Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Good Father

I think it's ironic that half the cover of The Good Father by Noah Hawley is black and the other half is white.  Black and white is not how it is in this story about the father/son relationship between Paul Allen and his son, David Allen (aka Carter Allen Cash.)  Paul is a doctor and he prides himself on his logical thinking but he can not comprehend that his son would assassinate a presidential candidate.  Paul hasn't been the best parent of David but who, really, is the best parent of any one child?  We all have room for improvement.  I liked the story and I didn't like the story.  I didn't like the misogyny and the racism.  I did like the story because I believe, it goes to show, that any one of us could be the next parent of an assassin.  I believe The Good Father is a story of America, a story of our culture, a story of our social structure, and a very sad story of our lost youth.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...