Sunday, November 6, 2016

Moving Chickens to Winter Headquarters

I had a plan.. I had a good plan. I would move the chickens out of the house and into the run and shut the door so I could give the coop a thorough cleaning.  That went well.  Next part of the plan was to move the chickens out of the run and into the coop so I could move each part separately to the winter headquarters.  That mostly went well but I forgot to latch the coop door.  My elder stateswoman, Chickenson Caruso opened the door and left.  A female Polish followed her.  I noticed and shut that door quick before all 9 chickens got out. Two escaped chickens I could handle.The Polish chick was easy to catch.  With her feathery topknot she can't see me coming.  I caught her right away.  The other one wouldn't be so easy to catch.  Perhaps she needed a break and a stroll around the yard.  She knows her way around this yard.  She must be smart because she is the last survivor of the Buff Orpingtons.  So I moved the coop and the run without her.  In the photo above you can see her looking into the run from the outside. I hate to move them to the winter headquarters so early but it is November even though the weather feels like September.  With 9 chickens in the run they can turn a piece of fresh grass into a manure mat in a mere 5 days.  But it is time to do this.

Chicken Caruso came home to roost as the sun settled down on the horizon.  Isn't she a beauty?

Chickenson Caruso been a good mother to the young chickens.  She has beautiful eyes and a pretty face.  She looks good!

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...